Saturday, March 9, 2013

Red River Gorge - Muir Valley

I took the two day lead class with Fox Mountain Guides.  Karsten was teaching the course.  This was money well spent, as I learned quite a few things that would have been

Muir Valley
Bruise Brother's Wall
Sweet Jane (5.8-) mock trad lead
I climbed this on mock trad lead.  Karsten spent time looking at each piece of protection placed and commenting on the quality of the protection.  This was a useful exercise.  I had to think about the direction of the force applied during a fall amongst other things.  Tapping on the rock with a #2 would reveal how solid the rock was.  If it sounds hollow, then it's looser than solid sounding rock.

Trundling Kentucky (5.8) mock sport lead
Also sent this route placing protection while on top rope.

Critters on the Cliff (5.11a) TR
Epic!  I didn't look at the rating before I got on.  I didn't fall.  I did find it hard.

Return of Manimal (5.10d) TR
Again I didn't look at the rating before I sent this route.  It was also a tough climb.

I would love to go back and do those two routes on sport lead.  That would be fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment