Sunday, March 17, 2013

Rumbling Bald: Drivin' and Cryin'

Well, I managed my first serious injury while climbing.  I was climbing with Amy Nail at Rumbling Bald in the Flakeview Area.  She led Drivin' and Cryin' a balancey 5.10a with six bolts.  I followed and made it to the third bolt when I lost my footing and when down.  There was considerable rope stretch and slack, so I feel about 10-12 feet back down to the second bolt.  As I was falling my left foot caught the wall and became hyper-extended upwards.  I don't remember exact if I heard a noise when that happened, but I tried to put weight on it and climb, and after about 10-15 seconds, I realized there was a serious issue.  I had Amy lower me to the ground, and that's when I realized I couldn't put weight on the foot.

Amy found two sticks for me to balance with, and I hopped out of the crag (about a mile) on my right foot, scrambling part of the way on my butt.  She carried both packs out, shuttle style, one pack at a time.

I'm left with thinking about the fall and how I could have handled it better.  As for falling off the route, it always takes me a little while to get the hang of balancey/slab-like routes.  I wonder if I could have pushed away from the wall some to avoid falling along the wall and instead have fallen through the air.

Tomorrow I will go see an orthopedic doctor to assess the extent of the damage and get a sense of the recovery time.  As for climbing, I will have an extended break from it unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment