Sunday, July 22, 2012

Climbing with Lloyd Ramsey and Andrew Hoover

I took another trip to Pilot this weekend.  Andrew and I drove up in the morning and ran into Lloyd, the Pilot Mountain Wikipedia.  Although I hadn't had enough sleep or food and drank the night before, I was able to climb four routes (one I couldn't quite get completely through).  Food & sleep make a huge difference in any activity.

These were the routes we hit (The numbers are per the version 2 guidebook available at the ranger station and online at the CCC).

83. Parking Lot
6. Body Surfin'
9 1/2. Spin Drift (not in guidebook; Lloyd named it)
5. Scarface

I couldn't finish Spin Drift.  I fell towards the top of the climb.  I burned out trying to plan my next move Lloyd to lower me.  I was completely exhausted.  He claims this was a 5.9.  Had I had more food and sleep, I think I could do this one.  Lloyd, on the other hand, made this one look too easy. 

Speaking of Lloyd, he has an extensive website on Pilot.  Check it out.

http://climbpilotnc.us/

Also, he says there's a book coming out in December of 2012 with Piedmont climbs: Pilot Mountain, Hanging Rock (Moore's wall). That should be really helpful.

The guidebook was updated in 2010 but still lacks many pictures.  Erica Lineberry is on the cover of this second edition.  Here's a link to version 1 from 2007.



2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, Lloyd was killed at Pilot yesterday in an accident. Its not quite known what happened but an investigation is underway. Lloyd was a good man. He was always the last out of the park, and knew it extremely well. Hard to imagine this happening to him. He was in amazing shape for his age and never met a stranger. It was touching to read your article here, as your experience with him was likely experienced by many in the same way. He will be missed by many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe this!!! This is so sad. I just met him; I climbed literally twice with him. I just can't believe it. Yes, he was the "Star" of Pilot as far as I was concerned. I listened to him like a sponge. He knew every route in detail and introduced us to stuff not in the guidebook. I'm so sad.

    ReplyDelete